Thursday, April 15, 2010

Organizing The Linen Closet






When we moved into our house last July, I spent almost NO time putting things away in the second bathroom. We call it Andy's Bathroom because that is where he takes his bath every night, but it also doubles as our guest bath. I really want it to be a fun, kids bathroom. All that I have done so far to move in that direction is to put up a cute monkey shower curtain and monkey floor mat. My goal is to get it painted a fun green color next month and add a brown bath mat and some pictures on the wall.

Anyway, I've been using the closet in the bathroom as our linen closet. Sheets, towels and wash cloths were just kind of shoved in there haphazardly as well as Andy's bath seat and infant tub. I was able to move the seat and the tub to the empty cabinet under the sink. That freed up some space on the closet floor to store the package of toilet paper that had been sitting in the hall outside of the bathroom for, oh, about a week!

I folded all of the hand towels and wash cloths (we don't have very many) and then rolled the bath towels and beach towels (all two of them ... we might need to get a few more this summer) and stacked them on the shelves.

Now, the sheets. Ummmm.... I'm not sure exactly how we ended up with so many misfit sheets and pillow cases, but that picture above of the pile on the floor is all misfits. Hmmmm.... what to do?! I don't want to donate incomplete sets of sheets to Goodwill, but I'm not quite sure what to do with them. I'm thinking about cutting them into squares and using them to make one (or two!) simple quilt/blankets. I realized the other day that we don't really have a good big blanket to take to the park or sit outside on the grass on, so, that might be a good project. Anyway, the few actual complete sheet sets that we have got folded (not nearly as nicely as my Mom would have done it... I should have tackled this project while she was still here!) and stacked on the shelves.

This was a pretty easy project. I don't know why I put it off for so long because it feels SOOO much better to have that closet all cleared out!

1 comment:

  1. You should donate the sheets, even if they are misfits. Lots of times I go to Goodwill to look for fabric (in the form of sheets) that I can use for miscellaneous projects and I am always happy when I find a sheet or pillow that isn't part of a set because I don't need the whole set. I can't be the only person who does this - so I think you should donate them.

    ReplyDelete