Monday, April 19, 2010

Compost!


Hooray! We have started a compost bin! I'm super excited about this. I really wanted to get one started this spring so that next spring when we plant a garden we will have our own compost to use. I also have been feeling really guilty putting fruit and vegetable scraps down the garbage disposal when I know I could be composting them.

Because we have so many other projects we are trying to tackle, we opted to just buy a compost bin from Home Depot instead of making one ourselves. It was $50 and, I think, worth the investment. I need to get a canister to keep on our kitchen counter for food scraps to take out to the compost pile every 1-2 days.

I still need to do some reading up on how to get the most out of our compost. I also want to start reading up on planting a vegetable garden so that next year I can have a well planned garden. Well, that's the goal anyway!

This year we are going to focus on sprucing up the front of our house. We kind of feel like the builder just threw in whatever plants were on clearance when they built our house and we would really like to do something with a little more curb appeal. Some of our neighbors have really nice front yards and porches with hanging plants, etc. We have not put one cent into the front of our house. I'm looking forward to tackling that project sometime soon. The problem is that I don't feel like I have much knowledge of what types of plants to put in. I'm a little overwhelmed by the thought of trying to figure out what will look the best and grow the best in this climate, sun/shade, etc. and how much to water or fertilize... hmmmm... I am going to recruit the help of my future sister-in-law. She's much better at that stuff than I am. I just need to do it while the weather is still nice out here! Pretty soon it will be transitioning to hot, humid and gross! I love the South... most of the year... but summer... I'd rather be at a lake house in Maine!

And p.s. can I just say how much I LOVE my clothes line!! I completely love hanging clothes out to dry and love NOT hearing the dryer running constantly. It's definitely one of my favorite new things off my resolution list... that and my recipe book... I use that ALL the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment