We put all of strawberry stems in a container so that they could go into Megan's compost bin.
Mmmmmm..... almost boiling!
After we poured in the sugar and let it boil for one minute, we used the wide mouth funnel and poured the fruit into the jars leaving a 1/8th of an inch space at the top.
We screwed the lids onto all of the jars...
...then we set the jars into the canning rack that was sitting on the bottom of this giant pot of water.
We covered the pot, brought the water to a full boil and set the timer for ten minutes. Then we turned off the heat and let the cans sit for another 5 minutes before removing them using the special tongs made just for picking up mason jars.
(this was the last batch... out of three... so I'd already taken off the cute aprons Megan had given us to put on. It was fun! It felt like we were in cooking class!)
And our finished product... THREE batches of homemade strawberry preserves!