Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Disinfecting My House




Okay, so it has been a complete vomit fest here for the past two days!! I think we are now in the recovery phase... as long as I don't get it... fingers crossed! We thought my husband had some kind of food poisoning because he was up sick ALL night Saturday night and slept ALL day Sunday, but then woke up Monday morning perfectly fine. We realized it was some sort of stomach virus yesterday afternoon when Andy started throwing up... everywhere... in large volumes...in 20-30 minute increments. I felt SO bad for him. This is the first time he's really been sick like this and throwing up. He's 17 months old. It got to the point where it was almost comical, like when you are watching a cartoon character throw up and they just open their mouth and stuff spews out like a fountain for 20 straight seconds... ya... it was unfathomable the amount of liquid that his stomach can hold. He wanted to drink and I wanted him to stay hydrated, so we did go through 5 and a half things of Pedialite last night. We went through every single bath towel & blanket we owned and Matt and I changed clothes so many times, we were all out of pj pants, t-shirts and gym shorts by the end of the night. By 8:00 p.m. he was done, went to bed at 10:00 p.m. and slept until 8:00 a.m. this morning. Bless him. I thought we were going to be up ALL night.

My husband was probably happy to go back to work today after the long weekend so that he didn't have to deal with the after math. Our house seriously looks like a tornado came through here. I'm still trying to get all of the soaked clothes and towels washed. Good thing it's in the mid 60's today because I really needed to air the house out. I have all the windows open and it's great!

So, yesterday I was realizing that I would have to make some modifications to my list. When I made my list for January I didn't know I was going to be gone for 11 days at the end of the month. There is just no hope that the family room is going to get painted before Saturday and I can't hang the blinds until after I paint and although I tried to schedule play dates this month, all of the kids we know have been sick, so, that just isn't going to happen. Since I had already made my list for February, I just traded out with 3 things from February's list. Yesterday morning my neighbor asked what I did all morning and I said that I organized my food storage containers and re-arranged my kitchen cabinets. She responded with "I didn't see that on the list!" (thanks Leslie!) So, now I feel like I have to disclose that I made some trades!

I did get my storage containers organized yesterday, but I'm not sure that the cabinet won't just become another jumbled mess. Previously, they were on the lazy susan and that was NOT working. Plus, I had a bunch of random lids and containers that didn't match. So, I matched them all up and put the rest in the Goodwill pile (along with a smoothie maker and rice cooker we never use). I moved the containers and lids to the skinny cabinet next to the sink (now that my freezer bags, tinfoil and cling wrap are in the pantry) but I need some tips or ides from people on what works for them keeping all that organized. Any suggestions?

My plan for the lazy susan is to get a few cheap baskets to put all of Andy's cups and bowls in so that he can get them himself. We'll see how this works out. I also totally rearranged our upper cabinets too. I needed a place to put all of those farm dishes! After 3 tries, I was able to fit them ALL in one cabinet! I'm very proud of that! Bless my husband for not making a big deal out of how many there were, and why we need them, when he came home and saw them spread all over our dining room table. Although, I did see some cute dishes with blueberries on them in the LL Bean catalog that came the other day and when I showed them to him and said "Aren't these cute?" he replied with "Don't you think we have enough dishes?!!" Point taken. But I reserve the right to get those cute blueberry dishes if I ever have a farm house in Maine some day! (what??!!! a girl can dream!)

No comments:

Post a Comment