Thursday, March 4, 2010

Team in Training

Tonight crossed two more things off my list. They really went hand in hand, so I figured I'd better just knock them both out at the same time! I have posted before about joining the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training. I was supposed to run the Myrtle Beach half marathon on February 13th, but it snowed the overnight before the race...the first time it has snowed there in TEN years...and so they cancelled it at 10:00 p.m. the night before. At the time I was feeling really down about it. Partly because I was really excited and partly because I was ready to have it completed! It was something I'd been anticipating for a while and had been feeling a little anxious about. I was having trouble seeing a positive outcome on our way back from Myrtle Beach the next day. That was mostly due to the unknown. I wasn't sure what race I would be running in, or what options Team in Training was going to offer to us. After all, I had raised almost $2,600 thanks to the very generous donations from family and friends and I felt obligated to complete a half marathon... ANYWHERE!

Well, this has probably turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Instead of Myrtle Beach, I will now be going to run the Rock n' Roll half marathon in San Diego in June!!! I only need to raise $400 more to go to San Diego and I know I can do it. I also know how much I will benefit from the additional training. I was going to complete the race in Myrtle Beach by doing run/walk intervals, however, with 14 additional weeks to train, my new goal is to be able to run the entire race. I'm excited about recommitting to my training.

Unfortunately, my husband can't come with me to San Diego, but one of my best friend's from high school has a conference for work just 2 hours away the week after the race, so she's flying out early to come with me and one of my best friends from college just won a $250 gift certificate on Southwest Airlines for donating old bridesmaid dresses to charity, so I'm hoping (fingers crossed!) that she decides to use it to come to San Diego too!!! Either way, it will be a great time and an experience that I know will be one I will look back on fondly.

So, tonight I filled out all the new paperwork to be able to do the race in San Diego and took it to the mail box. Then I typed up and printed out my donation request letter for Matt's boss. He had mentioned to Matt that they could make a corporate donation if I submitted a letter. So, that is now sitting on the counter with Matt's wallet, cell phone and keys to take to work with him in the morning.

It feels good to cross those two things off my list and recommit myself to such an important cause!

1 comment:

  1. San Diego? Soooo cool! I'm proud of you for wanting to run the whole thing. I know you'll be great!

    ReplyDelete